Friday, January 06, 2023

Drive Fitted At Last

Hurrah! The new PC is now up and running. I sawed off some of the L shaped plastic angle, which kept the tray springy while allowing it to fit, and an 18-inch/450mm left angled SATA cable arrived and worked to plan. I've been in virtual limbo, not having easy access to the old hard drive, but now I'm up to speed.

The only remaining niggle is the powering off of the PreSonus Studio 26c USB device, which sometimes doesn't wake up after sleeping. Sometimes it does. I don't think it's connected with Windows's auto-powering off of USB devices, as it seems to misbehave even when the two power-off options are disabled (one in the Power Settings, one in the USB Settings in the Device Manager), and the card can sometimes restore correctly when the power-off settings are active. Perhaps the 'awake' but unused time is causing the problem, but that would be odd. I will disable them for a few days, to see if that helps.

With my Lexicon Alpha, I could run a script: "cmd.exe /k devcon restart *VID_1210*" to reset the device, where VID_1210 was the codename of the device. DevCon isn't in Win11, and the replacement, pnputil, doesn't permit wildcards (bah). This is a little problematical as there seem to be several device handles for the Studio 26c; one active starting "TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_...", and two inactive starting "USB\VID_...".

Oddly, after a failed restart there IS a 'working' PreSonus Studio 26c in the device manager, but as a USB device, not a soundcard. I tried to reset this with:

pnputil /restart-device "USB\VID..."

Stating its address. I needed an Administrator Level Command Prompt for this, but after the reset it (amusingly) said I needed to restart Windows to finish the reset - which rather defeats the objective!

Another option is to unplug and re-plug in the USB cable, but I don't want to do that. I would love a USB on/off switch but, oddly, none seem to exist. Some do which switch the power line off/on, but I can't find any which switch power and data. For now, the only option is a Windows restart, or avoiding Sleep. Bizarrely, this PC is faster to shut-down and switch on again then to Sleep/Awaken.

Apart from this minor niggle, I'm ready to start work. I've compiled a new version of Prometheus with very minor changes to update the code to VS2022 standard; as I said it seems to be a bit faster as well as double in size. I could also recompile the plugins for a similar effect, but that will take all day.

I must rest tonight, refocus, and make plans. Step one is to complete the painters album...