Thursday, January 12, 2023

Go To Bed And Miss Me

A somewhat rubbish day, I haven't felt like doing much, or at least I'm so torn between ideas, and at the end of many of the Golden Age tracks, that I've hit the standstill of infinite possibility. In such circumstances I keep working at something, reading, watching, listening, seeking inspiration. This is the minimum of work... searching. Inspiration is data; in particular incomplete data which you may want to complete. I've read about Kenny Everett after watching some of his television programmes. How alike we are in many ways, even my love of radio, but unlike him I've very rapidly given up trying for anything like a job there. He should have become an artist earlier!

At about 4pm I wrote a song with a bouncy rhythm. In mood it has elements of Beatles songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer and When I'm 64, and Mercury's Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, and a sped-up Daisy Bell. The melody seems like something eternal that's always been around but (I think!!!) it's all new. I've put together a simple sequence and the song feels finished - though not remotely connected with painting.

Go To Bed And Miss Me

Kiss me.
Go to bed and miss me.
I'll miss you. (I will miss you)

Sleep tight
all alone and all night
like I do.

Dream of wishing at the old well.
Dream of kissing at the school bell
like you wanted to.

Meet me
somewhere in the street-y
here will do. (anywhere will do)

Maybe
we could spend the day in
love with you.

I could spend the day
in love
with
you.