Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Go To Bed And Miss Me, and Queen

Some more work on Go To Bed And Miss Me today. I thought that the solo guitar part needed a fill for the rapid chord change in there, so I played that. This is my first song to feature two guitar takes in the left/right ear, which is something of a sign that I'm getting better at playing.

The song really reminds me of Queen songs like Seaside Rendezvous. When people imagine Queen songs they, perhaps, immediately think of high vocals with close harmonies, surrealistic and amusing variations in pitch and tempo, and heavy guitars laced with fun, an idea capitalised on by The Darkness in a few intentional tributes; but there's another Queen too, one with 1930s & 1940s ballroom/music hall influence, with bouncy piano songs by Mercury, and songs like Good Company by May. My song here has similar roots (and indeed a nod to When I'm 64, which also paid homage to the past).

Go To Bed And Miss Me has turned out to be an unexpectedly good song on many levels. I need to work out what to do with it.