Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Christmas Smells, You're My Candy Cane

A full day yesterday working on Christmas Smells. Lots of production work can be attempts to see if something works, only to find it doesn't quite. Spent an hour adding new organs to the chorus, but in the end, the original ones sounded better. Much of the time was wasted due to Windows not really working; the coquettish MIDI connection. I added some choirs for the chorus though, and re-recorded electric guitars with a different timbre, the others were too thin, so used an 001 setting rather than x01, the rightmost pick-up on. It's no wonder that Brian May said that 80% of songs use 011, as it simply sounds the best, but I want to push for variety.

Also, lots of preparation for the vocals, but I need to right time and space to record them. The first track has been sent in, a lovely solo-vocal song in the Taizé style by Maggie Shaw. It would be nice to add more to it.

I also did lots of preparation for Thursday's album cover design day. In retrospect I'd have done that differently as anything community related involves inefficient bureaucracy and publicity is restricted or banned. Paperwork for that complete today, and lots of printing of the artists' images - just over half of the artists sent one.

I've also written out another song, one which was in my dream as I awoke on the morning of the 20th. The words and melody of the chorus was clearly in my mind and I was sure that I'd heard it before, but can't place it. The words were "You're my candy cane, my candy, you're my candy cane, my candy". The melody as simple and as catchy as that of 'P-L-Astic' from We Robot. I wrote out the rest of the words and music on Friday and typed them up today:

You're My Candy Cane

I wake up and know
you're with me
with the special glow
you give me.
It's a fantasy
pink and sugary.

You're my candy cane, my candy
You're my candy cane, my candy
You're my candy cane, my candy
You're my candy cane, my candy

I could make you smile
if only
you would stay a while
I'm lonely.
Will you promise me
That you'll always be, my

honey in the summer.
Cinnammon in fall.
Glitter in the winter
when you call.
When you call.

You're my candy cane, my candy
You're my candy cane, my candy
You're my candy cane, my candy
You're my candy cane, my candy

In other news: We Robot has has a nice write-up in John Hopper's 100subtexts magazine, and all is set for Friday's release day. I've released and announced the update of SFXEngine. It might be that I'll be recording and producing a song for Andy Stubbs. Deborah has been invited to be guest poet at Joy Winkler's poetry evening at The Button Warehouse in Macclesfield next Wednesday, which is exciting. Deb asked if I'd like to play some music to accompany her. I think it's her special event but we may perform one or two works as Fall in Green. Tonight, we're going to the ballet to see The Nutcracker.