Wednesday, October 11, 2023

EQ Ends, Prometheus Plugins v203, FIG Rehearsal, Cycles 2023

Another very busy day after a somewhat sleepless night. I thought, in the night, that my High Shelf Filters might give better results than the low pass, they certainly seemed to work better for the top and bottom ends (the low pass is the inverse as the high pass). After some tests, the results were different, but somewhat comparable; neither being ideal. I think I need some sort of sorting algorithm to apply the filters in a better order. Three 6dB peaks next to each other could be combined into one, but, of course it's not that simple, a 6,7,6 would need two, with a second in the middle.

I've given up for the time being, and updated the plugins generally. I optimised the High/Low Shelf Filters, and created an evidently more useful 24dB/oct version. This took all morning, but the new effects are now complete, and Prometheus is updated once again. I've spent a week working on this EQ, and it was a hard battle without results, but I've learned a few things, and have something to work on in future.

In other news, the Christmas album project is on track. I'm thinking that I'll need to regulate the cover-creation workshop quite carefully to avoid scribbles and mess. The result may look rather punk-like, but that is perhaps the point.

In the afternoon Deb came round for a second Fall in Green rehearsal for Sunday's gig. This is actually about our 5th rehearsal of this show, at least that. All went well, and we add more at each run-through. It will now feature a Stylophone solo, as did some of the Salome performances.

Then, the final filing and completion of the Cycles & Shadows 2024 remaster. It won't be released until at least January next year. It sounds notably better, louder and cleaner due to the new EQ system, as well as the much more modern reverbs. The new version of Cycles III is substantially better, and it now ripe for the video I'd always planned but never got round to.

In other news, I'm set to do a long stint exhibiting paintings in the Macc Art Lounge in November and December, which involves 5 full days as shopkeeper. I'm already dreading this unproductive drain upon my genius, but it's part of the job, and it will be something of a break on those days. It will also probably involve contact with artists again, something I've not had in over a year.

My next urgent task is recording my Christmas song.