Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Cat Covid and Style Guru Fashion Queen Vocals

A full day, a little quieter than usual, so less done, but still non-stop.

I started by updating my Chromoverb (named after Chromium, my reverbs are named after chemical elements). I added a new parameter for the amount of reverb tail before the delay. With a tail and a delay it mimics Oxyverb, although I have separate left/right filter controls here and a settable Q. Without this pre-delay value, there is a pause before the reverb, which can be useful, it can then be used as a room reflection or something.

I had an email from a boy scout asking for an autograph. I wonder how common these are in this selfie age? I expect these will be all the more valuable and rare these days.

Then, a trip around some shops with Deb.

I had the house to myself when I returned so recorded some vocals, for Cat Covid and Style Guru Fashion Queen. I started work on that song in 2020, and most of the production was done in 2021 (there's an old post here about it) so it was about time I recorded the vocals. Back then, the low vocals were easy and the high ones hard, now it's the opposite. The lyrics have changed a little since 2021, here they are:

I walk like a cat
Shine like a light
Everybody looks, can't help it

Look at the look of love in their eyes,
I get it everywhere I go

I'm a style guru, fashion queen
Always the person to be seen
Never the same as anyone else
Nobody can be like me

I'm a style guru, fashion queen
A statuesque dream machine
I'll make you jealous
I'll make you cry

I'll make you love me
then I'll wave bye bye

I don't have a past
I'm a mystery
Everybody wants to know me

Got to be brave to come and say hello
I get it everywhere I go

I'm a style guru, fashion queen
Always the person to be seen
Never the same as anyone else
Nobody can be like me

I'm a style guru, fashion queen
A statuesque dream machine
I'll make you jealous
I'll make you cry

I'll make you love me
then I'll wave bye bye

There are lots of layers and complexity here. It's amazing how much my production methods and ways of working have changed simply since 2021 and the earlier drafts of this song! Now I'm more likley to put a high pass filter on tracks, to reduce the bass generally and to raise treble. The key with song mixing, as I'm sure I've said, is the transformation of pink-noise, the natural result from a raw mix, into white noise; or rather white-ish, 'song white' tends to have a scoop in the mid-range where human vocals reside. Many brilliantly mixed professional tracks are, however, very white. Even across all bands.

I had to prepare lots of backing tracks and guides for the harmony parts. By 5pm, it was mostly done, with no work at all on the Cat Covid vocals. Tonight, it's the 4th Red Cow Open Mic.