Sunday, March 31, 2024

Multiple Mice, Tuesday Practice, Feelings

A gamer night last night with Simon, H, and Aff. A mix of results from MarioKart, a game, like any driving game, I'm pretty useless at. The enemy is the track, not the other competitors.

Today, I made a slight change to my game engine, adding support for multiple mice. If I update Outliner, it would need this feature. I did some research into the latest input API for Windows, called GameInput. My problem with Windows APIs is that they just keep appearing, always more new stuff that needs constant updating when the existing stuff works fine. We now have lots of versions of DirectInput (1, 3, 5, 7, 8), XInput, and now GameInput, and they all do the job. There was/is no advantage at all for me to use any newer API than DirectInput - the only tiny advantage is that GameInput can support two keyboards - but nobody uses two keyboards on one PC, partly because Windows fundamentally doesn't support more than one, except for games when using this API!

I also added the vocals to 'An Autumn Tale', and in the afternoon put together the backing and sheet music for 'Out of Date', and 'Warm Comfy Sofa', the two tunes I aim to perform on Tuesday. I looked through our two Fall in Green tunes too. By luck, our 'Silk Merchant's Song', was recorded live at the Knutsford Music Festival, so I could use that as reference. We performed it a lot in that year, but rarely since, and I've not noted the sheet music (or, of course, studio-recorded it).

Tomorrow will be a full day of quarterly backups.

After that, I could continue with more programming, that may make the most sense. Let's see. What I feel like doing is nothing, resting, sleeping! But in life, the most beneficial things are the things we don't want to do, or the difficult things. Progress can never be made doing what is easy, or doing what we 'feel like doing' because feelings are a continuation of the status quo. It is disruption that creates information and demands new energy. Obeying feelings is, therefore, a gradual decay.