Thursday, March 21, 2024

Taskforce v1.07, Paul Parish, Nigel, and June

A full day of programming today, a change of pace. I have lots to do here this year.

Today was spent updatign Taskforce a version to 1.07. I thought this would be easy, but it's taken far longer than expected, perhaps because the game is so large an complex (my biggest game). Many of the stock routines I used were modified, making replacing them a slow difficult task, as each new component needed to be checked that it worked as it should.

To some extent, I may have been better leaving things, but this will speed up any future changes that are needed. There are a few positive changes though; new lens flares and mouse pointer, the new 'robustinit' and 'fixaspect' flags improve compatibility, and the 'Campaign Completed' Achievement is now fixed a bit, so that players have to at least complete each mission to earn it. With v1.06, you can obtain the Achievement simply be completing the last mission.

The options are also now set to the new standard of two files; Options.txt for user settings (which are loaded and observed, but not saved) and Bank.txt for the persistent program settings, generally things set in the game menus.

It's take all day for this, but I had a break in the middle of the day for an eye test. My distance glasses need updating, but all is well.

This evening I've practiced guitar for a few minutes, working through the 'How To Play Guitar In 14 Days' book. I'm ignoring the 'open tuning' option, so it sounds wrong, but I don't care about that for now. After 4 days it's still very basic, but even 'easy' practice requires a lot of repetition to master and can be done better or worse.

I've also listened to some music by Paul Parish, who played at the open mic on Tuesday. His songs are really nice, they remind me of Crowded House a bit, just really well written, performed and arranged (there are few production and balancing elements I'd do differently, I must retain a critial eye on all other music I encounter). Both Nigel Stonier and June Holland from the open mic ensemble have new singles out tomorrow.