Monday, March 04, 2024

Cat Covid Guitar, Pictures On My Telephone, Lino Cutting

The day has flown. All day I've felt rather hot and overwhelmed, physically 'burned out' I think. I must try to slow down a little. My usual speed is running. My personality is to pedal just as hard when going downhill.

I started the day with an hour of weekly admin, a few emails to address for the start of the working month, then more work on Cat Covid. There are so many guitar parts here, I needed 4 tracks (for me, that's a lot). The key change at the end meant recording some new parts for the final chorus, and I had a few solos and other parts to add. Part of this process is experimentation, playing to the music and seeing what works, what can be discarded. Generally, if you keep imagining a part after you've removed it, it is worth keeping.

While playing, my lino cutting supplies arrived. I unpacked and stored them for later. I was disappointed (and surprised) that the ink was water based - I'm sure I asked for oil based. I don't like water based inks or any art media that is water based apart from actual watercolour!

After lunch I recorded vocals for 'Pictures On My Telephone', and added them to the piano. The piano I recorded had the full melody in the lead, which wasn't really needed, so I removed it all, and used only the bass notes.

This took me to 3pm, at which point I decided to design the lino-cut CD art.

I was an interesting process, I rather enjoyed it despite these uncomfortable feelings. As a surface it's a little harder than lime-wood carving, but still very easy. I found it useful to rotate the surface to get curves rather than rotate my hand. I tended to use the 'number 8' cutter most, it was like a big brush.

This evening involved lots of guitar playing, for fun, for practise, and test doodling to these songs. I still feel hot and uncomfortable. I must try to rest. Tomorrow is the 4th Red Cow Open Mic and I'm looking forward to another performance.