Friday, March 01, 2024

March Admin, Album Progress, Lonely Premieres

A steady first day of March, with a list of jobs. I rose early, completed my monthly backups, then got some little vocal recording done, with vocals for I'm In Love With My Car. These sounded good from the outset. I also recorded some test vocals for Rock And Roll Is King but I'm unsure how best to add these. The thundering piano can easily interfere with the vocal area. Perhaps The Crocodile Rock benefitted from that squeaky organ for this reason. Maybe I need to listen to Jerry Lee Lewis, or Queen.

Then work adding those vocals into the songs. I recorded a final couple of synth parts for Car, then some work on monthly goals and general filing. One act was to increase my painting prices. A necessary step as Ché wants to list my work in her gallery for a few months. The prices on my website need to be the same as hers (or indeed any other gallery or website, I can't undercut a partner), so I need to raise mine to match.

Later, work on a song called 'Walls (And How To Hit Them)' which has been in progress since May 2022. It's very odd. A bouncy, electronic, surrealist song in every way, just odd. It's sort of like a brass oompah-band, but played on squelchy electronic instruments. Well, I finally decided to expand the single verse and chorus section into a full song, albeit one of a mere 2 minutes. Odd or not, I must finish it and move on. I pass through phases of perfecting and polishing, then other moods of 'get it done'. Without the latter, I'd grind to a halt like any casual obsessive.

At 6pm I released the Flatspace update, then watched the Cycles III premiere on YouTube - alone. I've spent 20 years making music and videos, and being the only person present at the premiere, which gave me a rare pang of loneliness. I've rarely experienced the feelings of friendship or of being part of society, so, conversely I rarely feel lonely. Being near people makes me anxious and afraid of being attacked, a response drilled into me during my terrifying childhood, and I find being alone a relief, peaceful. Unfortunately, it's hard to make headway in the world when isolated.

Enough of such introspection! Like any form of nostalgia, this is another feeling I avoid.

I must do my best with this music. Songs now complete: American Lawyer, Excessive Consumption Has Laxative Effects, Thinking About The Cats I Used To Know, I'm In Love With My Car, Go To Bed And Miss Me. The album was to be a collection of random songs in the manner of The Dusty Mirror, or Secret Electric Sorcery, but both of those were approximately themed, related to the albums which to some extent inspired them (Kimono My House, and Low). Now, I'm seeking a theme and structure, and need a few more songs to find and direct one.