Saturday, April 13, 2024

Mural Day 2

Two hours of minor finishing tasks to the mural today, removing most of the guide lines, and adding the lines which connect the circles, which couldn't be done on the day due to the masking requirements. I missed one line, and one large drip fell onto the work. Once dry, tomorrow or later, I'll need to remove the final guide lines, these were amidst today's painted lines, so couldn't be removed today. I'm toying with using some of the grey to paint over and fix some of the white marks.

Peter Robinson visited again to take a few photos of the work in progress. Here are a few of his wonderful photos from yesterday:

David Jewkes was there today. It seems that he envisages his design to take several months of occasional spare days. He seems to relish the public spectacle of painting outdoors in summer. I'm more of a military-precision planner, with no time or tolerance for inefficiency. I'm relieved to complete this in the planned 1.5 days, and still rather amazed that it worked so exactly to schedule.

This is my second Cheshire East commission, the other was a series of postcards in 2011 to celebrate the centenary of The Lyceum Theatre; the Council ran the theatre back then. David Lidster suggested that my work was like that of Fact, Liverpool, asking if I'd worked with them. I could probably do more work with and for other arts organisations if I were more proactive. I have a general policy of doing things when asked, but never asking or enquiring myself. My years of enquiring with games companies, where every contact led to exploitation or abuse, led me to deeply distrust this way of working. My personality has changed dramatically since those dark and strange days.

Now I must recover physically from the busy two days, and move back to music, and possibly an Outliner update. I've done a lot this year; updates to Gunstorm, Gunstorm II, Bool, and Firefly, most of my next album, and scored two albums; but only completed and released the Gunstorm games. The album is on track, though, and the open mic events have further boosted my performance experience and abilities. I need to complete and publish more. Any creativity is a treadmill of creating, publicising, releasing, publicising, creating; a chain of products and ideas.

Onwards we march.