Tuesday, April 30, 2024

A Drive Though Admin

A very anxious night after a day of non-stop work on album admin and little tasks. I've created a few pages of cover art and find myself darting between jobs anxiously, uncomfortably.

Here's a glimpse of the final tracks and timing:

Of the many little jobs done yesterday and today; I've completed the sheet music, and initial registration of the music with the authorities. Created about 4 pages of album art, but I'm unsure if any of these are complete. I can't afford the time to be too picky. I've completed the pdf lyrics booklet, and printed the sheets and prepared the filming room to record the spoken lyric videos.

Trying a new audio lead and connection with my camera took over an hour, the levels were difficult to set correctly, and impossible to monitor, so I've ordered a new mic to help with this. If I'm to create a new weekly video programme, I need to make it as easy as possible.

I also tested the Microkorg with the new power lead extension, this works brilliantly, I can now perform using mains power rather than cumbersome batteries. The MP3 player tripod attachment fell off however, the hot-melt glue would not stick to the smooth aluminium, so I've tried 'Super Glue Power Gel' for tonight's performance at The Red Cow.

The little jobs on the album all add up and are quite hard work, and for little response, yet each has some impact. I now have a systematic release plan and program for albums, which will grow and evolve with analysis. I know from software, music, painting and elsewhere that this will improve things and ultimately lead to success, but it is a slow and steady approach, rather than fast and exciting. I wonder if Aesop's Hare and Tortoise story was ever scientifically proven to be correct! I know that in painting technique, the acts which appear fast and exciting are actually created in a slow and steady fashion.

The problem for me is that I can spend a year or more on one album, working on it full time, and no matter how brilliant I think it is, it may still reach nobody, and be as overlooked and ignored as everything else I've made. Perhaps my plan is there to help with this. Without a plan, results will be effectively random. Still, my music since 2020 was, for me, experimental and learning. I knew this, and wasn't happy enough with the results to promote them widely. I started slowly with The Golden Age, but We Robot was the first album I considered worth promoting. Four years in, and I've reached the beginning.

The music for 'Drive' is complete, I think, but I need to listen to it carefully and check it all again. I will release a single or several this time. For We Robot, I made Spotify Canvases for everything, and full screen videos. Do I need to do that?

No matter what I do I'm torn between doing more on it, or making more new music, or more new art. I need to make something sellable, and something artistic, and at times feel I'm doing absolutely neither, yet I'm doing what I always have; constantly work, constantly do my best, aim highest, push for that which is better. My albums, or even track lists, can dart between the mainstream and catchy, to the strange an arty because I get bored of each thing quickly.

This year musically I'll aim to re-master The Dusty Mirror, and perhaps create another album, but I want to get some painting done too, and perhaps write a new book.