Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Scoring Complete, Spiral Hub Suspension, DSLR Webcam

A full day of music scores, and in record time I've scored the album of 14 tracks. I've cut the occasional corner. I've excluded many of the solos, those which were live at the time rather than sequences.

I've also only scored the main theme to 'Thinking About the Cats I Used to Know'. The actual recording is a quasi-improvisational drift of that theme over the course of 3 or 4 minutes. It would be rather torturous to score it exactly, and not particularly useful. I have scored the exact notes many times before, for many of those Fall in Green piano tunes, for example, but in this case it can largely wait. It's part of the spirit of this tune that it IS an improvisational drift, a dream-like melody blown on the wind. If played live, I'd probably do the same; use the theme and improvise it.

I had the idea of making some sort of roller-skate that used large pneumatic wheels, like a bicycle, primarily as a means of transport. I was trying to think of a good way to add suspension to the system so came up with this design which uses several spiral springs, something like the rotary pendulum in a watch:

The thickness and curve (and quantity!) of the springs can be adjusted to adjust the resistance of the system. One advantage to this system is that the holes can be cut from a disc of steel (with a laser or mill), making it easy to make, if you have a spring-steel disc and a computer controlled steel cutter!

I've also turned my DSLR camera into a webcam, which is interesting. I had the idea of making a TV show, something like a short version ArtsLab, but haven't developed the idea fully. One option might be to live-stream it to Facebook or YouTube, so I wanted to learn how to do this, and with a webcam it's easy. One problem is that my computer is in a different room from the 'studio'... A long cable (very long, 10M?) could fix this, though it may require a technician or two to run it all live.

Deb's cold is getting better at last. We may soon be able to meet without the risk of me catching it - hurray!