Saturday, February 08, 2020

God Infinity, Compression, Karaoke

Had a somewhat torrid night, awoke almost feverish, although I managed to breathe a little more easily than the previous two nights and am less congested. I think I've had some sort of minor virus, which explains the headaches. I hardly slept, then had amazing dreams, at one point the sky was rotating through a circular window and it was filled with strange shapes.

I rose late and started to rework on God Infinity, the most complex track from Burn of God. I'm in the phase of not liking the music again. I've realised that I love a project and work hard on it, then, at its moment of completion, I'm ready to abandon it. I invariably dislike it, and start to become exciting about the next one, which I hope will be better (and generally is). This fact stops me promoting the new work. I'm tired of it, not proud of it, compared to the amazing next project it's always second best, although I may grow to be pleased with it some months or years later. I explained this to Deborah tonight and she suggested that I follow a set of logical rules, a promotion schedule or plan. I've realised that, with our Fall in Green work I'm much more motivated in this regard, perhaps because it's a team and I'm helping her and others. Perhaps this is one reason why solo artists do less well than bands. Isn't it strange that visual artists are rarely bands or teams? The Chapman Brothers and Gilbert and George are notable exceptions.

I arranged the CD artwork for both albums for printing in the day, and started to work on a new compression D.S.P. effect, that is dynamic compression. I rarely use compression, only ever for vocals that demand a certain rigidity, aware that it always, always, harms emotional expression, but it can make lyrics audible that might be inaudible. Lyrics need to be heard and comprehended (unless you're really going for something unusual).

My compression effect in my software, Prometheus, has never been used because it never really worked. I had the idea for a second audio effect based on it today, so was inspired to work on it. The principle is simple; a volume tracer on the wave to compress, then boosting the volume by the inverse of the volume trace.

In the evening I went to a party in a large club. The deejay offered karaoke to everyone but only I, Deb, and Deb's sister sang anything. Nobody else danced either apart from the small children. One lesson of the evening is that The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit is inordinately difficult to sing, demanding both a falsetto voice and a bass voice.

I want to feel inspired and well and full of jobs and purpose tomorrow.