Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Birthday and Reverbs

A break yesterday to celebrate Deb's birthday, a full day with trips to Congleton and Sandbach and more.

I really wanted to get some creative work done but felt unable, still too tired from the weekend. I pressed another draft of Burn of God. I will keep listening repeatedly until I'm happy with it several times in row, then it is done.

I've toyed with the idea of adding a high pass filter to my reverbs, and then realised that a potentially faulty volume tracker is present in the code, this means that I must recode all of the reverb effects, so I might as well add that filter. This should really clear up my future mixes.

Also today, some new guitar picks arrived, which are the best I've tried, renowned picks; Jim Dunlop Jazz IIIs. These are excellent for note picking, thicker and pointed to a bevel like an arrowhead, and polished there to be very smooth. I have a frosted yellow one with a slightly rougher texture too, and they're smaller than normal, which is good because your fingers are closer to the strings. Not so good for strumming though. I find scales a easier with them, but I'm only just beginning here.

I cleared a page to start a painting, but haven't got further. I'll probably spend tomorrow coding these reverbs. Such a frustrating few months, I have so much to create yet feel blocked at times; yet I've learned a great dead about music engineering and have programmed some very useful new plugins. I must push on, life is short.

Tonight, poetry at Crewe library. We may pursue a performance there.