Sunday, June 13, 2021

Frame Restoration

A slower day today. The frame seemed to set solid overnight, better than I expected, although some liquid Titebond dripped out at one point so I'll wait 24 more hours for everything to set. Here is the frame so far:

It had two plastic strips, probably part of the original hanging mechanism, these needed removing. This wasn't easy. The plastic is too hard to slice with a sharp knife and too awkward to saw. The best tool was my reciprocating vibrating multi-tool (nobody has thought of a better name). Despite being advertised as useful for 1001 jobs, it's only really useful for sawing holes in the middle of a block of wood. It did the job here, though it tended to melt the plastic a little:

Then I cut glass, spacer, backing board, so everything is ready to frame. This took me up to 11am. Then a pause for a visit from Nick.

After that I scanned in the newly updated version of Land of Beauty and Sorrow. Here is a comparison of the before vs. after paintings:

For the week I want to update The Many Beautiful Worlds of Death, and work on some of these paintings in progress. We have a new rehearsal of Wonderland scheduled for Friday. I really need to sell my Yamaha SY-85 so that I can buy a new replacement keybord for live performance. My piano is wonderful, but too heavy and too delicate for live play.