Sunday, June 20, 2021

Shakespeare, Keyboards, Guitars

Steady day. Completed the Shakespeare composition. Here is the idea sketch, from which everything is based:

This has a loose and sketchy quality which gives it lots of character, but it can't really be expanded like that, unless the result is also loose and sketchy. I've translated it closely. The object on the right is a castle, Elsinore, I imagined, but perhaps something deathly. There are two moons, one firey, one calm. The whole scene has, in my mind, a funerary or deathly feeling.

The sky was a bit empty, however. I wondered what it needed... so I imagined the image as music, something symphonic. The flowers are the living part, growing in bloom, these are the theme, so I've placed them in the sky too, echoes of them. It's taken from 6pm to 1pm today to transfer to canvas. All ready now. This is one of four of these medium sized paintings. Perhaps I'll have time for more, or perhaps will move onto one or more larger ones.

I've ordered a new tier for my keyboard stand but it annoyingly doesn't fit either of the stands I have (I have three, two Duronic ones which are light and quick to set up, and one Rockjam one which is much heavier and tougher - though both have a 40kg rating - generous, I doubt the Duronic ones will cope with that, though I like those better because they weigh less). Anyway, the top tier doesn't fit so I've ordered yet another stand just for this.

It's extra expense for uncertain reward. In our Wonderland show I will be using three synths, and before have used three stands, but this makes playing the left and right one at the same time difficult, I can only see either my left or right hand at once - so another tier might help, and make the setup neater. Musically, I think the show is worked out now and will be our best yet.

I've also ordered some new super-light (0.10) strings for my APX700II electro-acoustic guitar. I am yet to like this guitar, perhaps spoiled by my electric, though I love Deb's APX500; perhaps it's a matter of mere colour, perhaps not. The current strings are light, (0.12). The guitar on most of my/our recordings is actually my normal acoustic, Yamaha F-310, which is a wonderful guitar. Perhaps this and a mic would be best for recordings anyway, but for live acoustic performance an electro-acoustic is probably easier to manage. Well, Deb will be playing all of the guitar parts in Knutsford. I would like to, but three synths at once is already enough for my two hands.