Tuesday, May 31, 2022

And Yet More Framing

Slept badly and woke late. First, sanded and applied a third varnish coat to the red 'Gynocratic' frame. It looks remarkable, almost like tiger-wood. I would not have designed a frame like it, or will again using this combination of solvents and varnishes, but it's not unattractive, and has almost taken longer to create than the painting.

I unclamped and varnished the two other frames, and have submitted work to a new local exhibition in Bunbury. Then I went to B&Q for more varnish and some metal. I needed to make an angular metal part used in my iron mitre block when cutting frames. Straight wood easily fits in the mitre, but if there's a recess then I need a second block to fit in that, so bought some aluminium for that and created a block for this purpose.

It's made from two U-shaped pieces of aluminium held together with Paraloid-B72 resin, with a piece of wood cut and sanded to exactly fit inside.

I feel I'm wasting my time and talents on this workman craft jobs, but artwork needs framing, and comparing these new frames with those before, these are a step up. I'm physically tired today after three days of a lot of running about, the trip to B&Q alone is a 3-mile walk; yet after three days, the work is still not framed due to factors like drying times. It is much more efficient to make several frames at once...

I'm starting making artwork notes. I must complete the Salome music with urgency; and find a venue or more to perform it.