Thursday, May 12, 2022

Lou Salome, Market Rehearsal

Two days of music work.

First, the outlines of 3 pieces of the 12 for the Lou Salome performance. I have most of the tracks sketched out, after that, a second draft... so three of thoise are done. Then, together with Deb, I'll refine again for a third draft which will fit the words more. The process is very slow, like carving some driftwood down to the exact shape to fit. I feel very Beethovian working on this. My playing abilities (or sight-reading, or lack thereof) are limiting my composition, I want to add more than I can play.

We had a good meeting on the evening of the 10th and have confirmed a lunchtime concert in the Lyceum. It was really nice to meet pianist Treona Holden, who also performs regularly on the public pianos, and Lucy from the Lyceum. I and we can but hope of a Salome performance at the theatre, or even some for of regular ArtSwarm event. Several performance arts venues are coming to Crewe over the next decade.

Deb and I have spent today rehearsing the performance for Thursday 19th, which will be 45 minutes. We're keen to do interesting things... as ever. At times our show crosses many boundaries between music and performance art... the difficult part is making this unusual combination really good, attractive, popular, while being new, different and exciting. Surrealistic energy is the key to this, a sense of wonder, the humour of amazement.

I'm exhausted now after three run-throughs of the show, we'll use three synths plus the main piano, with Deb on jaws-harp and harmonica for Everything For A Country Song But A Country; plus online promotion and a newsletter. I also need to decorate a mask for the Ragdoll-Ragtime-Robot dance, and make some Stars on Sticks for the audience to wave.