Saturday, June 18, 2022

Descartes

Working today on a complex 'portrait' of Rene Descartes, about time, mind, and certainty/uncertainty. I started work on this in 2009 and did extensive preparation work then, but abandoned it. My approach will be different now. Back then I built a new painting from real-world models and photographs made to mimic the things in the idea sketch, but this particular painting was very abstract and difficult to create that way. Gradually I moved more into copying the idea sketch exactly, but now I use that as the start and add more as needed to match, or enhance, the singular feeling and concept.

While drawing it out, I became aware that I've worked all day and every day on art since at least 2007, including at least some work on every Birthday and Christmas Day, and perhaps worked more before then, when I noticed holidays even less frequently, and hardly spoke or interacted with humanity. I will never stop.