Sunday, June 05, 2022

Salome Composition

The Salome compositions are pretty much complete now, managed about 3-4 per day. The last was the first. The simple waltz that was the first draft was too childlike:

This became the basis for two of the other tracks, but then discarded for more of a swooping waltz which I bent slightly to make it fit with the others:

I've tried to add some variety across the range. A piece called At Freud's Lecture was, in my mind, full of dancing Spiccato cello, with a smooth and flowing melody over the top. I'll probably play this on synth like that, but I can imagine augmenting this for two or more lead lines; it would lend itself well to a fugue or something plait-like... if I ever get the change to perform this music more widely.

Give Me Your Pain and Sit With Your Ghost are about Rilke, so are variations on the same, very simple, musical ideas. Overall, this project reminds me of The Infinite Forest music, a 2 or 4 simple themes scattered across the program. The Dream Sequence is the only part no scored at all, I have in mind an improvisation on guitar to a synth loop there.

The next step is to refine these with Deborah, as she reads, then find a venue and set a date, and some practise. Oh for a budget for masks, and an orchestra, a choir, quartet of Greek Chorus.

I keep sleeping late and feeling slow. I need more projects and energy. The proof copy of How To Organise Your Computer Files has arrrived and Deborah is kindly proofreading it. Perhaps it's time to start painting something.