Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Salome Refinements, Glass, Board

Spent the morning refining the Salome sheet music. I've realised that having to read the music is very limiting to a performance, it must essentially be that of the music which is always a lot more simple than my ebullient piano playing. Rough notes allow more freedom, and more brilliance, but can lack structure. This feels like a familiar balance, between playing 'correctly' and playing with 'feeling' - a balance that must be steered with care and élan. I've fitted all of the music on 2 or 3 sheets.

In the afternoon, we went around the town and I bought 4 sheets of 50x40cm glass at £5 each, the price has doubled since September.

This evening, cut a 3mm board to fit three A4 sheets side by side on my music stand, to allow me to play the music. I've stained it an even black.

Salome aside, I must get some art done. We've been confirmed to perform something at a 4-hour event in Congleton Library on Make Music Day. I fear this will get in the way of more serious painting, or Salome rehearsal, or the creation of new works... but any live performance is welcome.

Time is short. Life is short. Midsummer's Day is close and I feel I've hardly done a thing in 2022.