Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Mural Preparations, Flatspace v111, Non-Binary Backing

A steady day today.

First, completed the last mask for the mural, the bee. This completes most of the preparations, though I need to test the mask adhesion on the wall. In the afternoon I made a 3D mock-up of the site so that I could work out the best placement of it all, both how far from the right edge to start, and where the parking sign (yellow here) will impinge on the design:

The paint and the weather are the final two steps before painting can begin.

After that, I completed the Flatspace update which involved added a new font and checking the placement and look of everything in different resolutions. Then uploading to Steam for testing, and activating the Steam Cloud. All seems to work, and the code was backed up. I'll activate the release this weekend. Gunstorm is still the latest announcement and one update per week is enough.

After that I created some synth instruments for the live performance of My Baby's Non-Binary. The sine-like lead instrument heard at the start is a sine wave with a slight, slow, pitch-wobble, doubled with a band-pass filtered saw wave. The sine is an octave above. I spent some time duplicating this Prometheus sound on the MODX and it sounds very similar.

I've made a somewhat amazing distorted lead sound too, which is actually an FM sound, a modification of an original DX7 electric guitar, now with distortion (delay then distortion, this creates a nice effect) fed into an enormous phaser. The result sounds close to the real guitar used in the song. That was my BMG Special played with a heavy distortion from the Yamaha Digital Amp.

The jobs to do are completing the backing for this, and working on the tracks for our first Fall in Green gig of 2024 at next month's Women's Day event. It's a small one, just 20 mins or so, and no room for big keyboards or amplifiers, so it will largely be backing tracks with a small synth; a unique equipment arrangement for us.

I'm getting things done but I feel I'm not being ambitious enough.