Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Secret Sorcery Scoring

Two very busy days with too little to show for them. It seems that one must work twice as hard to produce any results. I must remember that, rather than showy results, slow and steady drips in the right direction are the important things. I started scoring the songs on Secret Electric Sorcery yesterday, which, apart from anything else, should be useful for live performances. I'm wondering if I can create an arpeggio on the MODX which alternates the siren (which is always in octaves) and the bass, which is usually in 5ths, but not always, so it would need to be a two-key arpeggio where only the lower note is noticed by the siren. I think it's possible.

Three tracks were done, then spent the afternoon shopping, a 2-mile walk each way at pace, and two more hours (though more relaxed and enjoyable) in the evening, so today I have the all-over ache of a day of exercise.

Today, lots of little jobs. The authenticator app Authy has been discontinued on Windows, so I spent an hour or so migrating to a new one and cursing Authy. Then some emails and replies, which have been waiting for a while, then a Windows update. This took two hours, all to merely stand still.

Then work on the Be My Jesus score. On the face of it, it's a trivial job as the song is all in A-minor and E-minor and in simple layers that grow, then a chorus in F-Major, G-Major. The words (and emotion of them) are key to the song, but they don't scan evenly, so it's annoyingly awkward to score the melody exactly. Each verse, simple musically, is therefore different in this respect, so I've elected to score two versions: one with a merged verse and chorus where smaller notes indicate, to some but not an explicit extent, where the notes should be when they overlap, thus:

It's not obvious which note 'sweat' or 'bed' are, though perhaps it's a clue that the smaller note makes up 'room'. It doesn't really matter either, as the song is bluesy and improvisational in nature. To clarify, I made a second score where the music is explicitly scored for each verse. I've not added the electric guitar stabs, but have (as you may discern) notated the exact strums on the acoustic guitar, which are the most basic A and E shapes anyway, though the F-chord isn't, so there is a tiny benefit for doing it this was.

This all took hours. My next song, Passive Aggressive, is 3/4 swung, and didn't want to export correctly in Prometheus, so I've had to re-program it a bit to permit 'quavers as 1/3 of a beat'.

The new Windows update has shifted the 'Copilot' AI nonsense to the right, and got rid of my 'Show Desktop' button in the far right, which has been a useful feature of Windows for years. Copilot, in that annoying Microsoft way suggests I ask it a question and all I can think to ask is how to uninstall Copilot (and, for that matter Edge) and restore my 'Show Desktop' button. I know it won't answer. So much for intelligence.

I'll probaby spend the rest of today programming Prometheus, before a delightful celebratory meal with Deborah for St. Valnetine's Day.