Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Open Mic, Andy Warhol, Backups

A good night at the Open Mic last night. I was unhappy with my performance, which was more difficult in reality than in my rehearsals. One problem with the keytar-like playing is that it's hard to know where ones hands are on the keyboard, as its position shifts. On a real piano, you have a clue where the keys are. Even in the dark, you can get used to, on some level, the position of each note, if you place the chair in the same place each time. That's difficult enough with your eyes closed, but it's easier to work out or target the notes relative to your current position.

With this instrument, that's much more different, or impossible, as the keyboard itself shifts. The keys are mini keys, making more accuracy necessary. You tend to have one hand rather than two to play (making hand-relative judgements impossible), and the keys can be hard to see, as it can be flat to the audience. It's probably impossible to train oneself to play things correctly in this way; looking at the keys is necessary, but that's difficult if a mic stand is in the way. I'm going to experiment with tactile stickers on the keys and markers on the edge (like the fret markers on a guitar arm's edge), to see if this helps. I need at least a guide so that I can feel where the keyboard is.

My playing was basic for Style Guru and innacurate for 'Norman Bates' due to these issues, but I was pleased with my singing which was on par for both songs, though Norman doesn't suit my range.

The night was about 75% of Nigel and Virginia's music, and their respective progeny; they all had 3 songs each, the rest only 2. I had hoped that these open mics might be social occasions, or some sort of help (if not a doorway) to performing locally. This doesn't seem to be the case, though it has only been a few months. How impatient I am! These open mics are very useful as performance training, and to stay in touch with the friends we knew before attending there.

I've been watching a documentary about Andy Warhol. I didn't know much about him, but I never rated is work because I assumed that it was made by assistants and without skill. I was wrong on many levels, and was/am amazed to discover that, perhaps of all artists I've read about or encountered, I seem to be most like Andy Warhol in character and outlook. We both had brief 'normal jobs' (very brief, in my case) that left us dissatisfied with life, then pursued a life of art for its personal merits. We're both naturally shy yet need to promote, act, perform, and interact to pursue this art. We're both supremely eclectic and eternally experimental. I felt more comfortable not speaking to anyone last night, knowing that Andy wouldn't have either. For a man famous for 'advertising', he wasn't forthright - something else that I misjudged.

Today, I awoke somewhat ill; thirsty, throat-sore. I was certainly exposed to many viruses last night, but perhaps my early intervention will help my recovery. Today has been a day of monthly backups and admin on the album. 'An Autumn Tale' had audio problems due to the pure sine waves (these can absolutely never be compressed or cropped or boosted beyond clipping). A new mic has arrived for the camera (another thing, there was also an Andy Warhol Show which was remarkably like my premise for my new show).

I've done more album artwork today, and added a photo of myself from last night to the art. That look, suit and black tie with a red silk shirt, will define the look of this album.

Onwards we march.