Thursday, October 03, 2024

Art Photography, Compression

A good and productive day, starting with the very phyiscal work of art photography.

I have a large 12mm MDF flagbed for the painting, which can slide left and right. Above it, two 15mm tube tracks which allow the mounted DSLR camera to slide vertically. I use a 50mm Canon lens, and 6x810 lumen bulbs on my custom built wooden lamp stabds. All of this takes an hour to set up and dismantle, not counting the actual photography. All of this still produces far inferior results than in real life. The process is one if disappointment and shame at the poo quality of my poor painted progeny. Still, today I managed to scan 7 paintings in this way today. The colour matching, at least, is perhaps the most accurate I've ever achieved.

The painting 'Nobody Cares About You, Really: Get Over It!' is scanned and now submitted to John Lindley and the artist Ann Beedham for CD cover design.

After that, I tried to find any Cue Sheet for a CD in my collection so that I could confirm if I knew how to create one. I failed.

After that, I started on a new compressor algorithm and tested various volume level trackers, wuth good results. At the moment I use an exponential one which simply multiplies the tracker up or down as needed, but I'm unsure if this is best. It is smoother than a hard linear ramp. A good one seems to be a simulation of an analogue VU meter, where the needle falls under simulated gravity. I've decided to use that for my new compressor, and a linear time-based fade for the attack and release.

At 4pm or so I received an email about the ING Discerning Eye, and the website would not load, remaining in eternal loop. Once it made it to the results page only to remove (!) all of my entries for every competition I've entered, and quaintly reported that "You account information was last updated on 01 Jan 1970, 01:00". Quite. The Parker Harris system is THE WORST art submission system I've ever used. I've not used it once for anything without constant errors. At time of writing I still have no news on my entry. Well, this is in the lap of the gods.

Onward.