Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace, Framing and Stains

A sleepless night of stomach problems, high blood pressure, and strange worries. I managed to dream, a strange quest which featured recounting reoccurring dreams of Arnold Schwarzenegger to a group, and being made fun of as a result! This may be related to the late night film of Mazed and Monsters, a rubbish Tom Hanks film from 1982 which is perhaps more of its time than any other 80s film, more 80s than Flashdance or Back to the Future or (the egregious) St. Elmo's Fire.

I also finished The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, an astonishing book. In most novels you are sure who the protagonist is, the character that the author himself/herself identifies with, the one the reader roots for and sees the world through; but this is subverted here. Of the other books I've read, this reminds me most of the haunting Hangover Square. I think both books will live with me.

Framing today as planned, for 'Can There Be A Refuge From The Terror?' and 'Love And Fragility In The Age Of Perfection'. In the past this would be most of the work of framing, but now I need to cut the glass, mounts, backing board, then measure, weigh, photograph, and record, so this step of sawing, decorating, and gluing is but the first step. The black frame was distressed with a lovely new wire brush, then stained with my diluted Golden Fluid Acrylic, a superb black. The other frame used Manns solvent-based red stain, which is no longer made - alas! All water-based stains I've tried have been terrible (apart from my Golden Acrylic). Morrells stain isn't as good as Manns was, but I hope to try a Mylands solvent stain. At least some people still make solvent stains. The old Colron solvent-based stain was brilliant; their current water-based ones are simply terrible.

A full day of backups tomorrow. My second biggest of the year as 6-months since the tax-year also includes some financial tasks. A time for reflection, a micro new-year.