Thursday, September 26, 2019

Art Life, Projects End

An enjoyable preview at the Cheshire Art Fair. A warm evening, very busy, spoke to lots of people.

The Burning Circus is now complete but won't be published until March 2020 at the earliest. John Lindley has kindly agreed to write a foreword for it. The Modern Game CDs will arrive tomorrow and the book is complete too, it will be launched on October 24th. The Masculinity Two single video goes live tonight in an hour.

I've spent most of today working on a small music commission for a computer game, plus working on music and admin work for Saturday's ArtSwarm show. I will perform a new song about the sadness of fish in an ocean swarming with human detritus.

I've also written a song for the Perfume themed ArtSwarm YouTube show. All of these things, these performances. I wonder what relationship these have to art and an artistic oeuvre or message. I spoke to Sabine Kussmaul at the art fair, she is studying for a PhD in art. I've also read about the wandering art of Frank Zappa. The study of art academically seems strange and insular. It's good to think of what we're doing and why, but the curious thing about art is that everything can be relevant, and anything can be argued as correct, and often is.

I work constantly, every day. Art is my life and, even before art, work has always been my life and compulsion, every day since childhood. I didn't miss one single school day, as well as programming computers at home (school taught me nothing, it merely bored me, moving at the pace of the stupidest person in the class. With an I.Q. over 150, I left with no qualifications, only the desire to avoid the pointless life of academia). Perhaps my childhood anxiety has given me this energy to work, but art is my life because only in this way can I can strive to do my best and achieve a potential. No matter how few my resources, or limited my time, I, we, have some, and we can do the best job with what we have. The ideal person is pushing limits and learning new things, always. I live in an isolated bubble; I set my own targets and limits. Perhaps academics are similar, but their peers set the limits. They know no better, but use peers for reasons of self-discipline and self-confidence rather than expert guidance.

It is time to conceive new projects.