Thursday, December 19, 2019

Rick Wakeman

Still working on music. I've got about 4 pieces in progres for my next 'skeletons' stage, but none are that inspiring, too tuneless, although the mood and imagery are about right. I'm playing guitar more and more and feel the need to use and include it, it feel pleasurable to do so because it is new.

I went to a Rick Wakeman piano performance last night which was technically inspiring. His right hand seems to do about 75% of the work, his famous ornaments, like musical filigree, complimenting each note. I feel that this is easy to do with practice. It is my timing that is completely inaccurate by comparison with trained pianists. Expression is about tearing apart accuracy to create contrast, but the accuracy must be there when needed.

David Lawton advised me to take some time away from my music, and sometimes I feel tempted, that it would be efficient, but I've never managed more than a day or two away from a project, and even on those short gaps am constantly thinking about it. In practice, I must work constantly until the job is done. Stopping is a fear, a fear of dying without achieving. Every day must be art.

As I said to David, I prefer to whip myself into action with a tight deadline... imagining far bigger ambitions to make my troubles seem tiny and easy... remembering all I want to do in my life, not merely this month. Then, these little bumps will be easy to overcome. Another trick is to inspire yourself with bad art, you can only know about your own abilities by seeing, hearing, how bad other so-called artists art. Exposure to both the best and the worst are important; both can be inspiring. The best to aspire to, the worst to give us confidence in our abilities. Problems can arise if we confuse the two..!