Sunday, December 22, 2019

Video Work

A nervous energy filled few days. I woke at 5am yesterday, and, wide awake in the darkness, thought about future projects. I reminded myself how few music videos I had, and how that I've got lots of good tunes or songs, such as most of the Bites of Greatness album, that have no videos. Pandora, Jellyfish and Trax are all fast and catchy tunes of that sort that define that album, yet largely unheard, and no videos! The only track that does have a video, Jarre's Party, is one of the worst tunes (I named it after the weird bendy sounds which sound a bit like Jarre's in Magnetic Fields 5).

So many other albums lack videos too; many of the great tunes on Animalia (the Mice video is old and grainy), or The Twelve Seasons, which lacks videos for any of the primary Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter tracks. Those three albums are all very much in the Jean-Michel Jarre mould of my first period of music, and at least need to be heard or discovered - and people listen and find music on YouTube nowadays. As a result of this I became full of energy before my trip to Macclesfield, and started by reprogramming Flatspace so that I can use the game intro itself as a music video for the title music for the Flatspace soundtrack album.

Then, a freezing, 90-minute bus ride to a Macclesfield to invigilate at the Macc Art Lounge. I sold a small miniature, and two of the very few remaining copies of Songs of Life (there are only about 6 copies left from the 100 print run, I'm extremely unlikely to print any more of this edition). These were my first sales, so far, at the Macc Lounge, so a good day. In the evening, I invented a new cocktail of Cranberry Juice and Warnicks' Advocaat, which I named a Fruit Salad as it looks and tastes like the famous sweets.

Today, working on new music video plans, and filmed a wintry video for Snow, also from The Flatspace Soundtrack. So many music videos use ancient footage (even I am guilty!) and no footage of the artist at all, but I'm determined to film as much as possible, and make the videos as good as possible, given my limits on time, budget and equipment. I can't spend a month per video, though I'd love to. A day would be ideal, or a week or two if needed, for a new song. The video must be art too. I've put together some space footage from NASA and ESA for Pioneer from my first album, Arcangel, so will work on that tomorrow.

Here's a still from the Snow video. This decaying leaf from the garden looks fabulous. It's a perfect video to film on solstice day.