Saturday, August 22, 2020

Argus v1.01

Two massively busy day working on Argus. I wanted to make the major changes I outlined in my previous post. Things are much simpler and more efficient now. Generally Actors are now like 'instruments' in a music sequencer and these can be objects, lights, or (now) even the camera. You can create several camera objects because different movement modulators might be attached to different ones - you might want to insert a wobbly camera at a certain point.

It's all made simpler by the freedom - you can now create as many tracks as you like and put any object on any track at any point. If you put two cameras at once, well, the latter one will take over, and the same for lights, though now you can explicitly assign a light (0, 1 or 2) for each light actor (a scene can have up to three). The only sequencer events are to place an object, kill it (send an actor off) or start music. I've also added geometry frames, so now objects can potentially be animated by geometry rather than just texture.

These changes have been massive. I worked until 8pm yesterday and only slept for two hours, from 5am to 7am; my restless body burning with anxiety, the nervous energy of the programming process. I'm almost allergic to programming - I really can't cope with it these days, I push myself to do more and more until every cell is involved, yet now the changes are complete. Despite being awake since 7am and working all day on these huge changes, I feel more elated, and a little shivery, than tired.

I'm other news, I sent off a brief bio to circl8 radio about The Dusty Mirror.

The next few days will be about Argus testing and, if I'm luckly, little aspects of music.