Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Dark Hyperborea

Working on music for the past two days. I want to unify a few tracks I have in different stages and have recorded new guitar parts for the new Conan song yesterday but I'm frustrated at my playing - how long was it before I could easily sit at a piano and improvise freely? Perhaps I'm underestimating the effect of years of casual keyboard playing. I must remember that I've only been playing guitar since the start of July.

Apart from the guitar solo parts and vocals (which I always save for last), Conan is complete, and Take This Rose. I've also recorded a new song entirely called Dark Hyperborea, which began as an image and a mood. I had the image of a desolate urban landscape, a swinging rusty gate, concrete and dirt, a cold wind, something inspired by the Covid-19 lockdown times. There are elements of Bowie's Diamond Dogs perhaps, in images, not at all the music. This sound is more like contemporary opera, something atonal and dark in every way.

That song is complete. I need a next one now. I've spent today practising guitar, playing to Renaissance. I've also ordered a Renaissance album that I didn't have. I have the five from the classic era, but not a sixth, Novella. I had A Song For All Seasons at some point but didn't really like it - there was only on tune on there that I liked, The Day of the Dreamer, for it's uncharacteristically power-pop chorus. It turns out that Novella is expensive and largely unavailable like so much music I have or want; I had to pay £20 I think for the David Lynch album, £35 for The Ocellus Suite (easily worth it!), and would ideally like Pola X by Scott Walker but that too is at least £30. Anyway, a new remastered 3-CD version of Novella was issued last year, so I thought I'd order that.