Friday, February 26, 2021

Medical Dreams, Style Guru Vocals, Young Attractive And Physically Fit

My stomach is behaving. I slept and had a night of strange medical dreams.

A boy being interviewed by a BBC Breakfast reporter had a bandaged arm which apparently would not stop bleeding and his blood was transparent. The boy unbandaged his arm to show the leak from a plastic tube. The injury was caused by ELTONJOHN tranquilizers (the letters were like that on the label) and the team interviewed Elton John about the safety of his brand of medication.

In another part, a man, casually chatting to a friend while leaving a clinic, had something 'itis' (I can't remember what), an internal inflammation which may have been white blood cells. He said that his right foot would grow to be as long as his whole body. For some reason I was sleeping, with friends, in a B&Q warehouse. Deb was there, and Mark Edmonds and Anastasia from the old art club. The landlord or owner was unhappy that we were there and kicked us out, then asked my mum if she wanted a job there as a nurse. She said that she had trained for it in the past, but was cautious about accepting the job, wanting more money than she earned now. He agreed and she said yes.

I think the Elton John segment referred more to music than medicine. The tranquilizer should have been relaxing but caused a persistent and lingering injury instead.

A good and full day. No changes to The Myth of Sisyphus which I will set aside to cleanse my audio-palate, and re-listen in a few days. I sampled some bass sounds from my piano, and worked on an old frame which needed decorating with paint and distressing with wire brush.

I then did some singing training and sang the chorus to Style Guru Fashion Queen. I added an amusing effect to it in the mix, a weird wobble. I'm enjoying playing with different vocal effects and usage for the different lines of the song. Style Guru is an odd song in that the verse is a whole octave below the chorus. This can cause a few problems in the mix, it often sounds better low or high, rather than similar at both levels, so it means more work to make each part as good. Some songs are best recorded all in one go, but here, some lines are best done separately for dramatic effect (this is also useful when lines can lead into or overlap others; Queen famously did this in Death On Two Legs and I think Mercury's song was George Michael's inspiration for his similar treatment on Heal The Pain).

In the afternoon I worked on the Style Guru production and started a new song (actually, this one has been in my head for literally years): Young Attractive And Physically Fit. The lyrics are so simple that they represent a musical component... songs like 'I Like To Move It' did this. Sometimes simplicity makes for a better song... I remember that Steve Lamacq said that he preferred Pulp's Disco 2000 to Common People. The former is a more sophisticated song musically, it might be a nicer tune played solo on piano. The words of Common People are clearly better but also the music because it's very simplicity makes it better, and enhanced the drama of the song itself, growing like a pained drone, which is one good effect of repetition.

If 'Young Attractive' is good enough I will probably use this on the E.P. instead. Style Guru is a bit too bombastic and showy for the middle of this 'sonata'.