Friday, February 05, 2021

Style Guru Fashion Queen

A restful night and a pretty dream of exploring a student hall with Deb. It was initially empty, some sort of holiday, but students began to arrive and disrupt our relaxing time together, so we were moved on, up through the spiralling building to empty rooms, the places where the owners' family lived. The rooms were soft and brightly coloured with orange and purple furnishings. The male owner had some nice black patterned ties, and a lot of waistcoats; his clothes hung from hangers and lines next to the stairs.

I started the day working on the backing music for a song called 'Style Guru Fashion Queen' which will be the middle track of the 'plastic sonata', the first track being Plastic Superman and the last the Burnout theme. Musically this is a hybrid of both, mostly Plastic Superman, even using most of the same instruments and in the key of E-minor - it will, I think, dramatically switch to E-major and then its relative A-minor for Burnout. It's upbeat in tone; a 'catwalk tune' like the first is a 'workout tune', and the last is a driving tune. Here are the half of the lyrics:

Style Guru Fashion Queen

I walk like a cat,
Shine like a light
Everybody looks, can't help it

Look at the look of love in their eyes,
I get it everywhere I go

I'm a style guru, fashion queen
Always the person to be seen
Never the same as anyone else
Nobody can be me like

I'm a style guru, fashion queen
A statuesque dream machine
I'll make you jealous
I'll make you weep

Your memory of me... is the one you'll keep

In production it will be a bit campy-Scissor-Sistery, but melodically it's more like Hellraiser by The Sweet than anything disco.

My throat remains a little sore yet my voice is clear and doesn't particularly feel strained. This feels like something in my upper throat, perhaps a manifestation of the eternal 'latent virus' I've had for a decade or so and which periodically gives me sore throats, chest, ears and saps my energy. It's very minor, but annoying and I don't feel I should sing. I will not, but will use the next few days or week to work on other things.

I've also drawn out a few painting ideas and looked at some blank panels. A mildly artistic day. Feels somewhat slow, yet I've hardly stopped. Style Guru is about half complete but the rest is easy to finish when the first half sounds right. Emotional days can be used as creative seeds, ideas. Emotionless practical days are about the hard and steady process of building music or assembling images to realise those ideas, calculating how best to work on them, remembering their core feeling and image. Image, even in music, is a key aspect. When I start work on music, I must know the feeling, but also the image. The music moves in images as though a silent film is playing. For The Myth of Sisyphus, tracks move inside and outide, from windswept, craggy hilltops to cold apartments, staring out through windows.