Tuesday, February 23, 2021

We Shall See Production, A Light Can Shine Only In Darkness

A rubbish night. Awoke at 1am with stomach pain and generally drank water and paced around the room until about 7am before sleeping, still with the usual grinding pain of slow digestion, while sitting up. Consequently woke late and hardly did anything until the afternoon.

I worked on the We shall See vocals which I recorded the previous night. I decided to add a few more layers of 'aah' type choirs and some other backing vocals, so recorded these and added them to the song. Listening back, I think it's complete now, so I can tentatively say that the album is complete in a first draft after many months. I think this is the first time I've recorded 'aah' type choirs for a song, although I've added quite a lot of vocal layers on the past two albums.

In the night I was musing about re-recording lots of Burn of God, partly because I've improved so much in various skills since, guitar, vocal, and production, yet, it is a bit early, less than a year, and I know that in a few months or years I'll be better than now so there is no rush. An artist should be making new work rather than focusing on improving the old. I don't listen to my old work, so I generate a strange feeling of liking or disliking it based on probably false memories or various superstitions.

In the night I listened to a few tracks from Bowie's album Reality, one of my least favourite of his, despite the immediately prior one, Heathen, being one of my most favourite. Reality feels like the left-over tracks from those better days, though I must admire the production and musicianship. The George Harrison track is perhaps my favourite, several on there are too bad for me to even tolerate listening to. The last track, Bring Me The Disco King has great lyrics though, it sounds like a swan-song, about facing death and how good the old days were, the young days were. The music ends with a dying of drums, like a goodbye. This was also done at the end of You Feel So Lonely You Could Die on The Next Day, also a swan-song. Those reference the opening drums of Five Years. I feel that one idea led to the other. The Disco King music is jazzy 'any old note' piano which sounds just awful, yet the words are so good. I'm tempted to make a new version with new music.

Prometheus crashed, sad news! I really thought I'd fixed all of the problems. This is probably be a memory infringement of some sort which could be anything and anywhere. I investigated a plug-in called Choroleight as this was used today and I've never it used anywhere else, but the code looked fine (I did find one bug in there but it was not related to the crash).

It feels like a slow day, with only a few hours of work on We Shall See, but it feels good to do that at least. I must finalise the whole album now, create the artwork for the Plastic E.P. and complete the music on there next. I may have glasses soon and be able to paint. Oh, yesterday I framed my newest painting, A Light Can Shine Only In Darkness:

I already have some ideas for a new album, each must be thematically linked, like a film or complete analysis of a subject; there is no point in making just piles of pop-songs that anyone can do. My genesis of an idea is about populism, cancel culture, Orwellian Twitter-Napoleons etc. but it must be a full and timeless philosophical analysis, not a response to current times, an artist must never gossip or squabble among the rabble of now.