Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Trapped, Architrave, NSP

A busy day. Fictive was finished and uploaded last night with the story Trapped. The story is very basic, it's a test of the program more than anything else. Chris Godber kindly donated $2 as he downloaded it, suggesting sound effects and a bigger font. I did add sound effects for the first draft, but thought that they might make the speech more difficult to hear, but for some scenes, like the press of the piano key, some would help. The font is relative to the Windows desktop, so its initial size varies in a way beyond my control, and it can be set to anything (font, size, colours) by the player so this is less important. I filed the program as complete with the aim of making a better, more in depth work in future.

Today, bought some wood, some architrave like this:

And some 21x46mm wood to fit behind it, leaving a neat 10mm or so rebate, so I can make some pine picture framing. I'm torn between a 17th century Dutch-style ebonised frame, which would look good in this shape, or dark brown like old oak. I will experiment. Tonight the wood parts and gluing together. The architrave is bent slightly, laterally towards the thin end, as one might expect because the wood is less dense there. To counter this I wet the thin half a little. When clamping I could also bend it to fit perfectly. I'll glue the second part tomorrow.

Then I made a model for my Gynocratic Paeodoparanoia painting using an American plasticine called NSP, which is so very stiff. It really needs a lot of heating with a hairdryer to be usable, but works fine then. I love this sort of modelling. If I had space I'd make more and keep them all. I've made a few from air-dry clay, but that shrinks a lot when drying so makes cracks, and distorts, and it's not very sticky. With plasticine, everything is temporary. I slightly prefer the cheaper Newplast plasticine, which I might buy more of (even plasticine is temporary, the oil rubs off on your hands making it less and less usable over time).