Saturday, September 04, 2021

Heritage Wall

More work on my 'Heritage Wall' ideas today. I started by drawing these on a smallish scale, but still a lot larger than my normal ideas sketches, which are only 80mm or less. Yesterday and today I've expanded the ideas to double size as a 'final' outline version. I think these ideas are perhaps too complex and busy, but I'm unsure. They probably work better as murals or oil paintings than in the final format.

I've been thinking overnight on the different algorithms for converting these into drilled holes in steel. It might be interesting to explore more options than the very 'digital' looking regular halftone dots (I say this but this is probably a matter for high-end programming - I wonder if I can program something for these industrial machines?). Some random distribution dots, echoing the look of real film might look better, or some huge holes for larger dark areas. These algorithms aren't at all difficult or complex.

The work on these ideas are taking many hours, but after a few days of multitasking I'm focusing more and more completely on them. I have two other painting ideas in progress, including a very simple circle design I thought of last night with hearts on a sky-like background. The precious light of September is running away. I hope to finish the Shakespeare painting at least soon. The Covid closed world has awaked with a blast and there are art competitions and opens everywhere, so suddenly, at the end of the painting season, things are getting very busy.