Friday, September 17, 2021

Wall Plans, Balmain, Prometheus, Installation Speaker

Most of the wall plans are complete now. I'm starting to slow down and relax, as at the end of any project. After 30 minutes of this I started to draw up a list. One thing to do is photograph/scan my last few paintings, this will take a day. Graphics are in for the London show, so I've promoted that a little. I really need to make a video or two for it, at least to talk about some of the paintings, which is tricky when I don't have any of them.

I also have a mind to update Prometheus, adding the modulator processing that I added to Argus a few weeks ago. Argus has the English built in; the strings are typed into the code. In Prometheus, all text is in an external file. This makes translation a lot easier, but it struck me that I'll probably never translate Prometheus, and it certainly makes editing the program more awkward. Every message, error, icon, is a number so it takes time to work out what they say. I have half a mind to change the code to include text. I'm wondering if this has a memory dimension. The text should take up the same space, of course, but it would probably move from dynamic to stack memory - would that cause problems?

A new speaker arrived from Amazon for my Nantwich exhibition, a Sonkir 3W Speaker. It is USB or Li-ion battery powered, and can play from 3.5mm jack plug, or USB stick, or microSD card, or bluetooth, so a master of all things (most speakers limit to one thing or another). This is ideal for art sound installations; it can be left plugged in at low power and the audio will loop forever, and they are small and cheap. I can also connect it to my Microkorg and use it as a temporary speaker. The sound quality is good enough for a 6cm speaker.

The book with it was Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols; a romp of opinion and hyperbole which, of course, never fails to entertain, though not necessarily enlighten. Reading it makes me want to write a philosophy book in a week, but I feel I'd need to include a smidgen of reason, or a few references.