Monday, September 13, 2021

Shops, Pears, Poets, Blade

A good day yesterday. I bought a few things; a box file for old work, to organise lots of unframed drawings and paintings which I had. I found an old drawing from the Apocalypse Of Flamingos series. Bought some glass too. Dunelm have stopped selling clip-frames, but Wilkinson still do. It's increasingly common for frames to be plastic fronted instead. Glass is cheaper, and always has been, but of course there is the cost of breakages.

I also started to finalise the poets for Neorenaissance, and this big exhibition feels more complete now. The next step is to work on the music/sculpture part, and the video. Then I took some source photos for a painting called 'You Know How It Is When You Remember A Friend'.

The idea involved a pear loosely hanging from a thread. The cord was like a ribbon, in my head, with a memory of the ribbon in an early painting, Eventide 2800:

Here is my old guide photo for that:

My old Amiga game Blade has had a few donations for the download, which touched me. I put so much work into that game, after the final, long years of finding a publisher for Burnout, yet Blade broke me. The publisher released it and gave me nothing, except swear words, laughs, and threats of violence over the telephone. They even distributed my source code at one point. This, they also did to other developers and I spent some time campaigning and trying to warn others. The Amiga was dead as a viable game platform and it took some hellish years, buying a Windows PC, learning to code in C, and finally, after yet more exploitation during Arcangel, walking away from all publishers and, joyously, releasing my own work. Those years were my lowest, but yesterday, after over 20 years, I saw a the first few dollars for Blade. The money is as useful now as it would have been back then.

Blade was hardly the best of games. My focus now is in making the best art I can. I'm certainly more able than ever, and I'm as filled with ideas and inspiration as ever. On with the week we charge.