Saturday, December 18, 2021

Christmas Music

A nice day of working on an old song, Won't Be A Silent Night. Not ancient, but in terms of my progress on music it is, so much has changed since I recorded it. I decided to re-record the guitar parts which were originally all synthesized, a good lead-in to doing this for the 2022 version of Burn of God, which will be my next main project. I also recorded new guitars for one of those tracks too, the riff from The Palace of Skeletons, which, back then, was my first song to include any guitars at all.

While I'm in a Christmas mood, and ahead of schedule, I thought I'd write a few Christmas songs, and penned another today called Away From Her Manger. This one uses descending chords, and a similar melodic rhythm to Won't Be A Silent Night. I think that it will be a good idea to make everything from now on a 'sonata' format of 3 or 4 songs, like the start of Nightfood, and this could be another test-bed for this. The mood here is cold and lonely. 99% of Christmas songs are silly artless pop. Creating something different will be enjoyable.

My chest and throat feel somewhat sore. I hope this is psychological and not related to my father's cold, which he is determined to give everyone. The insidious Omicron Variant is popcorning across the country and world. This is adding a sense of anxiety and urgency to every act. I am avoiding the news and watching Lars von Trier's Riget instead, a welcome birthday gift from last year which I'm just getting round to enjoying. Light relief.