Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Online Sales and Headline News

A trying day. Some days, I have a list of things to do and don't even get past the first thing. Today I wanted to add a shopping cart facility to the new Fall in Green site, but it just wouldn't work. The PayPal integration on the Pentangel Books site seemed to work, but I can't really be sure, and the new site is almost identical and on the same domain, but the indentical code simply failed. I think it must be down to a security issue, or the need to create new credentials.

But, I decided it doesn't matter, that trying to keep pace with the changes in web technology was too frustrating. I worked for six hours trying different things, working through logs and various steps, and I'm sure I could have fixed it in the end, but I decided that it was not efficient to do so. I hardly ever sell things online via my website so I reasoned that it's better and easier to simply use a third party site, and let them handle these things.

Most of my book sales come from Amazon, plus my real-life sales in shops or at events; I've never sold one via my website. Bandcamp is already there for bands to sell merchandise and albums, and the only other thing I sell are prints, and most of those are sold via galleries, or personal contacts; and RedBubble is there for some of my digital art.

So today, I've spent time deconstructing the shopping systems on my site and adding albums to Bandcamp.

In other news, I had a lovely message and subsequent article in Macclesfield Nub News about my piano playing in the Macc Art Lounge next Wednesday: "Macclesfield: Cheshire East's most prolific artist to perform ultimate free piano concert" - quite a headline to live up to. I'm still very inspired and full of musical ideas and ambitions.

Onwards.