Friday, December 24, 2021

Prometheus 2.75 and Music

A nice couple of days. I spent yesterday morning investigating the bug in Prometheus, I've been searching for this for years. When you play a live instrument with a buffer bigger than the biggest, then delete the instrument, then play the sequence without playing a new note, this causes a crash when the playback is stopped because the old, big, buffer is cleared, when its size is now invalid. This took years to find because it's a rare sequence of events, and was compounded by a separate crash bug on stop.

I added a few more features including a quantise option for modulators, so I can turn a sine wave, for example, into steps. This is probably not needed very often, but might be useful. I did it mainly for Argus, which uses identical modulators and code.

Musically, I completed both Won't Be A Silent Night, and Away From Her Manger, which I must confess to loving as song. The hardest part is vocal level balancing. I know the words, so I can hear more than is 'there' to a casual listener. Deb's computer is good for previewing songs because it has a sound card that mushes up the audio somehow (definitely not clean) so it makes the equality of the balance good to hear.

The last change was a recording of some tiny words in a child-like voice, for which I slowed down the backing track by 4 semitones and then speeded up the subsequent recording.

Today I've recorded new vocals for The Garden Of Love remaster. My singing has improved hugely over the past year and this trend seems to be continuing; how I love this process. Learning most instruments is a mental process with elements of the physical, but singing is almost all physical. I'm so pleased I've decided to re-record Burn of God. Everything will be pretty much identical but with a few new vocals and all-new guitars.