Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Selection Box, New Website

A really nice performance yesterday in Congleton. This was our first with two synths. Mike has acquired some lights, we were too dark in Knutsford. I used mine too and brought some light sensitive ones.

About 10 people came, including two new, which was about what I expected. Dark winter weekdays are difficult times for any event, but Covid has had a doubling impact on everything.

Mike said that our music was the best sounding to date; it was certainly very different, lacking piano. I love the piano sound, and some, like 'Time, Falling' don't work as well on these mini-synths. The Reface DX still annoys me. The paltry 32 presets is a real hammer blow to its live use, I still fume at this because it sounds and feels so very good in so many ways, yet I fear actually creating sounds with it because the few that are there need preserving too.

I'm still hoping to buy a bigger synth. Mike wondered why when the sound is good as it is, which made me wonder too. Larger keys are easier to play, but it can come down to those presets. Three synths rather than two adds more command options during a performance. The Korg can loop a background effect. I use an MP3 backdrop at times, normally a sound effect, wind etc. so that its timing doesn't restrict the performance. A love the size of a big, piano size keyboard, and, also, new sounds can add to the timbre and feeling of recorded work. Those limited presets are stopping me playing with the Reface.

The set up work was relatively easy from a technical standpoint. The mic kepy feeding back at times, perhaps it was just too loud. The work was as heavy and as tiring as ever. My knees and muscles are starting to ache for too long after such events and I am still very much recovering on this stormy day.

I thought, last night, how different it is to perform rather than see others perform. I realised that I'll never know what it's like to watch us perform. Even if videoed, we gain only a strange idea. When playing, I'm focusing on so many things, and every tiny hint of mistake is a glaring error, which is often not there at all on a recording.

I got in at 10pm or so and spent an hour packing things away. I was so buzzing with energy that I didn't go to bed until after midnight, then up at 6am due to hunger.

Today I've set up fallingreen.co.uk, a simple website for our work, so this cold day has been one of computer work and one of physical rest so far. I remain inspired and have so many creative ideas; musically, visually, in video and performance.

I'd really like to find or found a place, a bar or house that can be a permanent art performance space, like the Iklectik Art Lab in London, or The Kitchen in New York. I would set a programme of events and exhibitions, sell drinks, live above it, perhaps.