Saturday, September 02, 2023

Illustration Admin, Hydroxychloroquinine Music, Mazes

A full day, starting with scanning, filing, recording the new illustrations for I Slip into French like Tolstoy. These are the first illustrations I've drawn in 3 years, since Solitary Child. The admin involves scanning each of the 20 images, recording titles and sizes, labelling and signing each one, re-sizing images for the website, and preparing for inclusion in the book, updating the written records, and creating simple jpg versions for future batch mass-processing.

I'm toying with the idea of having a blog which simply lists all of my artwork, page by page, like a gallery. I did this once, but took it down a few years later. One advantage is permanency, redundancy. Perhaps my blog will outlast my website... but perhaps not. Google's terms are to terminate anything unused for 2-years. If you, dear reader, are reading this on Blogger in a distant future, several years after my death, then it would seem that they've changed their policy. I hope this can be, but I suspect it won't and that this blog like countless thousands of others are doomed. Perhaps, one day, I'll print and publish this blog. The proof-reading work alone of this job has just given me a shiver.

And indeed, the workload of another online gallery causes similar problems. It may also be deleted when inactive, so I'll hold off on that idea for now.

After lunch, I transcribed the sheet music for 'Hydroxychloroquinine Aspartame', the B-Side to the new AI And Celebrity single. For album titles I capitalise each word. This is a common convention. Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love has a capital 'Of', and A Night At The Opera by Queen is capitalised throughout, but that convention doesn't apply to song titles. For a single then, there can be an ambiguity. I have a B-Side here, so it feels more like an 'album' than solely one track, but even if so, I now capitalise all of the words in the 'album/single' title but not the track title.

After that I created a new edit of AI and Celebrity for a possible new Flatspace Music Pack. I've also prepared some artwork for this.

My task for the week is more We Robot work; making a new video for the single (which should be easy to extend into the album version) and a few other full-screen videos of album tracks for YouTube. After that I'll start on a remaster/re-recording of Cycles & Shadows. Another job for the month is to complete the studio lights, and any paintings in progress. I'm in the good mood of 'finishing'.

My strategic future seems uncertain. I'm pulled in many directions and all seem maze-like and full of dead ends. Where is peace? Success? Every passage in life leads to another, there are no actual dead ends. Some passages are strewn with rubble, or blocked with rock-falls. Some have quicksand or watery mires. Some have monsters, some spikes, some others magical monoliths marked with glittery runes, some caskets with golden locks. All are, in the end, passable. Which are we to choose? The adventure of life.