Tuesday, September 05, 2023

AI And Celebrity Album Edit, More Muralising

A full day, starting with the conversion of the AI and Celebrity single video, then creating a new extended edit for the album version. The conversion was quite time consuming; 3 long renders plus a final conversion was almost an hour of PC time on this super-modern system.

The middle of the day involved another meeting about the Ly2 mural. All is set we think, apart from box-ticking and more official paperwork, but David and I are, ultimately, awaiting for final approval from the civil authorities.

My design is very geometrical, so I've spent lots of time working out the best way to do this. Marking a wall for a grid of squares is easy enough, but marking for a grid of equilateral triangles and hexagons of a specific size with a specific 'mortar' gap requires a bit of maths. I have 12 grids to mark, and it could easily take many hours just to draw them all; time I can't afford. I can't use an overall stencil (even if I could find 12, 80x80cm square sheets suitable for stencils) because the masked areas are 'holes'. Imagine drawing the 'wires' in chicken wire and you can imagine my predicament. So, I need to create masks for the holes and place them accurately on a pre-measured grid. I wondered about a master plan which could be traced or overlayed (with guide holes?), but my idea is to use pre-measured paper guides for the edge of each axis which can be stuck to the wall, then lines instantly drawn between, so no need to measure on site.

The masks themselves, the 'holes', are numerous. I'll need well over 100 squares, over 100 hexagons, and nearly 100 equilateral triangles, so lots of preparation and cutting needed. With luck though, and those days of preparation, I can construct the design in one day. It will be a few weeks before anything happens, however.

Next; Deb and I have a rehearsal for the October Carol Ann Duffy gig at Nantwich Civic Hall. I must also finalise the tracks for the Flatspace IIk We Robot Sound Pack, and then create a new video for the single's B-Side. Then, a full suite of HD videos for the entire album. All of my albums from now on will feature videos for each track.

Then... new art, and refurbished older art. I wish I could paint my Signalman painting, many people seem to want it. I have an exhibition coming in London this Autumn/Winter and it would make a spectacular centrepiece. I do, however, have lots of other work to show...

I'm working at maximum efficiency. On we march, charge, fly.