Tuesday, November 07, 2023

Contact Admin, Sky Robes Sheet Music, Information and Death

A very busy day, I've spent at least 2 hours updating my contacts list, trying to add an image to each one. Faces are much easier to remember than names, and I always try to add a photo of a contact to each one. Even a wrong face can be better than no face, it still makes it easier to remember, but the research of trying to find a correct face can take a long time, and I have many hundreds of contacts.

This process made me aware of many things. Firstly, people who aren't online at all have a sort of non-existence. When working online its easy to think that it is everything, the world, yet many friends and contacts have zero online presence. A related truth is how quickly data fades, how I could barely find any references at all to my first art club Art Support, its 50 members, starting from at least 2007 (and probably years before), which continues, yet I've struggled to find any information about them, or any of the members I know and knew. This alerted me to the third fact of how poor Google now is as a search engine. Several results has very few results at all, which is surprising when the internet is, I presume, bigger than ever before. Many results were tainted by my contact themselves, I think... existing friends, my website(!) appearing in results. It just felt wrong, broken.

After this basic work, I started to notate the 'Sky Robes of Celeste' piano music, getting it note perfect for the new music. This reminded me of Beethoven. How one writes a piece, performs it, and in performing adds more, so the original is updated. This almost certainly happened then, so originals are 'lost', and acts of performance result in new music automatically, as well as a lot of paperwork. I was reminded that Beethoven kept all of his notes, diaries, every record from his life despite moving house more than 100 times. This seemingly innocuous fact was crucial to his fame and success; there is so very much work in art, that that work is the necessary record keeping. The message from today is that a person exists only so much as the records which mention or reference him or her.

All death, even physical death, is information death. Storing and recording information is life. As I've sad before, this is life's principle purpose - though the word 'purpose' implies a driving force. Life has no driving force, it merely exists or dies. That which is stored well is hardy against death.

After the sheet music, I analysed some music and other waves to determine a possible ideal EQ balance. The results were surprisingly unintuitive, though much closer to pink noise than white.

In the afternoon, I prepared paintings for my next Macc Art Lounge exhibition. I'm uncertain when it starts, or other details, like what I must bring, but I expect my paintings will appear this weekend. I updated my website to put art exhibitions and live events on on page. These were separated before because exhibitions tend to span days and events or performances are one-off, but both are relatively few, so it's perhaps better to put them all on one page. I've called the list of previous performances 'Events' - but up-and-coming events are also called 'Events'. In English future and past events are labelled with the same word. 'Events Listings' websites tend to list up-and-coming events, rather than an archive of shows of the past. I wonder what the best terms could be.

After that, I made preparations to send out the Christmas Smells single. I need some radio contacts or others that may promote the music and the album.

Then, back to the contacts list. Most of this day has been filing, storing, recording, preparing.