Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Sheet Music and The Cat Phone Song

Sheet music completed today for the album A Walk In The Countryside. The hard track was Sonus, which had no sequences at all. I set the music playing and played along to it live on the piano, recording my playing as a MIDI sequence. I expanded this into the actual score in a somewhat time consuming, but reasonably accurate way.

Then I recorded new vocals for The Cat Phone Song and Life is a Twitter Hashtag (in a mere five years this song is now a little out of date due to Twitter's fate). In the afternoon I worked on The Cat Phone Song. Structurally it's almost identical, but the mixing is quite different. the old 'boomy' reverbs are gone, and the new vocals sound notably better. Few may notice the difference, but the new song is certainly better in studio quality compared to the old one, and like the Cycles remaster, this will be balanced and mastered to a higher quality too.

At 4pm I made some changes to Prometheus, little fixes and improvements. I didn't feel like charging into music, after working for most of the day on scoring, so this programming acted as a sort of break. My score totals were wrong too... I checked. I've now notated 14 albums, some 300 pieces of music, over the past two years, but I have 25 albums to go. I have done most of the difficult ones, though Music of Poetic Objects and Apocalypse of Clowns will have their fair shares of complex piano pieces. The former could easily include scores for larger ensembles, but I won't have time for that; the basic notation should help in future scorer.

In the afternoon, local journalist John White pointed out two online articles about Snow Business:

Many of the artists have listened and approved. Most of the technical work is done and I'm looking forward to the live shows, and the final mastering process for it (the album will only be half mastered, some of the tracks will be distributed exactly as supplied to me, and some merely converted from 24 to 16 bits).

Tomorrow I'll keep working on Countryside and then work out a release schedule for it and for Cycles & Shadows. I can't allow these projects to sap too much energy from the important work of new releases.