Sunday, November 19, 2023

More Scoring, Prometheus v3.25

A poor night of worries and stomach pain. I slept badly and awoke at the remarlable hour of 11am. A new hat has arrived which is amazingly good quality, I may buy another in another colour.

I sent a few messages and responded to emails, then started to work on some programming. Making the 3/4 score for Maggie's song revealed another bug in my MIDI expoerter. I've probably made more changes and fixes to the MIDI exporter than any aspect of Prometheus! I fixed it, and optimised a few features. This partly settled my mind, activating cold logic. There is great psychological power in programming, a zen of the intellect.

It wasn't until nearly 4pm that I began scoring more of the Apocalypse music. Such a slow a tedious process. It feels good to have the music completed when it is, although I wonder if anyone will ever know of it, but this, for me now, is an essential part of my creative work. Things will feel much better when all of my old music is scored. At the present rate it takes about a week per album, so about 25 full-time weeks would be needed to score my backlog. As I've probably mentioned, all of these are done to a very basic degree, hardly any playing guidance, tempi, dynamics etc., and some of the timing my need tweaking, particularly on the expressive solo piano works; but this note-by-note process is the most difficult and useful part. A future being (hello, it this is you!) can fix everything to a wondrous standard based on the recording, if that still exists. I make sure to add chord symbols to every score too. As an often improviser, those are so useful.

Today I scored the last part of Mandalino, Fairytale, Grim By Day, Life Of Pierrot, and half of Herr Kasperle.