Monday, September 02, 2024

Backups, Kratos Polyfilla

Backups yesterday. I discovered that I'd lost about 20 of the most recent Prometheus sequences. This was a worry, I've no idea how these could have been deleted. My best guess is a failure when copying them over for conversion to the new Delay Pan format, as the external repeatedly lost connection. Fortunately, everything was backed up as I've not done any new music apart from Beatle City in August, and I had a second copy of that.

Also yesterday I applied 'Polyfilla' to Kratos, filling in cracks and texturing the floor. I loved the experience, it was really easy to apply with a knife, felt like painting in 3D, and it was easy to change the fluidity when mixing the powder. I can imagine an ideal sculpting form would be cardboard and hot-melt glue for a core with Polyfilla on top. I plan on painting the Kratos sculpture gold.

I should get painting but it's dark and I lack motivation. On my mind are programming changes to Prometheus which would use double pointers, removing a long standing limit to sample length. This would require a change of song format (the 5th since 2002), and is something not to be taken lightly. I'm not sure if the change is important or useful, the current 90-sec limit isn't too bad. Generally speaking, when faced with a new idea or other new thing, I try or do the new thing, but sometimes this can be inefficient. Changes like this have no going back, yet, when I have an idea like this I almost always do it.