Monday, September 02, 2024

She Was Always Asleep At School Underpainting

A first day of underpainting a new work 'She Was Always Asleep At School'. For some reason, the A-ha song 'Hunting High And Low' kept running through my head while painting. I realised it was a memory from school.

I decided to play a best-of A-ha album and was reminded that my favourite, or even actively beloved, A-ha song is 'I've Been Losing You'. Based purely on the cursory examination of this compilation, that song plus their two big hits of 'Take On Me' and 'The Sun Always Shines On TV' comprise their only good songs (though few here are actively 'bad'). Their English lyrics are often poor, on the cusp of being comprehensible, never mind poetic. This is a trait of many Scandinavian bands, such as Roxette, but notably excluding Abba (or Bjork, who exists on a totally different plane, if one counts her as Scandinavian).